This article discusses in detail ” how often can I change my nipple piercing?”
Piercings have been in the trend of women’s fashion for centuries. There is a feminine element in females that they like to show off their beautiful collections to other people. And when it comes to jewelry, no one can stop them. They have been fond of buying unique jewelry pieces and showing them off on different parts of their bodies. The most common types of piercings are ear piercing, nose piercings, and eyebrows piercing.
The fashion industry is always trying to do something new and make it trendy. That’s why piercing on intimate parts has also become the new black. The most popular piercings that come in this category is nipple piercing. Yes! The piercing on the nipples. It is equally popular among men and women. Men flex their bodies with six-packs and have nipple piercings that attract all the chics around them like magnets.
For females, nipple piercings have a very deep meaning. They do it because they want to show the world that it is their body. It is beautiful from head to toe. And every part deserves to be embellished with unique jewels to show their freedom.
First, we should know how we can get a nipple piercing and what its consequences are. After that, we would be able to discuss that how often we should change it or not.
THE PROCESS OF GETTING THE NIPPLES PIERCED
This piercing involves making a hole inside the nipple and passing a stud or any jewelry of choice through it. The nipples are one of the most sensitive parts of the human body, especially in females, so much care is required for this process.
THE SAFETY MEASURES
- One should always go to the most professional and licensed piercer for this type of piercing.
- One should make sure that the tools used for piercing are properly sterilized in an autoclave machine.
- Make sure that the studio is clean and have separate rooms for piercing and tattoos etc.
- The staff should use single needles opened from a new packet. Make sure that whatever they are using, they are opening it right in front of you.
- Women should not go for piercing during pregnancy.
- Make sure that the staff is using latex gloves while working on you.
- The staff should give you proper instructions about the healing processes and aftercare as well.
ITS EFFECTS ON BODY
- Nipple piercing is not like some common piercing that the pierced area would get better in few days. Usually, it has more healing time and has more complications as well. On an average basis, it requires 6 months to a year to heal properly. That’s a long time.
- The anatomy of women is very different than that of men. Women reproduce and lactate their babies. The nipple is an integral part of breastfeeding. This piercing can damage the mammary nerves of a mother, which would make it hard for her to produce milk. Moreover, the feeding baby can also choke on the ring, so the lactating mothers have to take care of these consequences.
- Sometimes the nipple or the area around the nipple can get badly infected. It forms pus around it, which is not a good sign. If this happens to anyone, that person should immediately consult the doctor for it.
- Nipple piercing can also be very painful at times, so one needs to take care of it properly.
- This piercing is not the piercing that, once if it is done, one gets carefree. It requires proper care and maintenance. One has to keep in mind that they have a piercing on their nipple, and it can tear their skin apart if they did change the clothes with proper care. The stud or ring can be stuck on the clothes.
- It should be disinfected and cleaned correctly because most of the time, the piercings become the reason for spreading hepatitis and HIV to other people and themselves.
WHEN TO CHANGE NIPPLE PIERCING
The swapping of nipple piercing is directly related to its condition. If the area is not healed correctly, then no chance of changing of piercing is possible. One should give proper time to it to deal and should not rush the process. For men, it usually heals in 6 months, while women take a bit longer time.
THINGS TO TAKE CARE OF:
People like to show off their unique collection of rings and studs on their nipples. Once they get a piercing, they are always eager to change the jewelry again and again, but this is not that easy. The nipple is a very sensitive part. Before changing the jewelry, specific points should be kept in mind to ensure a safe swapping.
- One should consider the condition of the pierced area before changing the jewelry. If any fluid is oozing from that area, the pierced area is not healed correctly. Changing the jewelry in such a situation would be a terrible idea because it would result in the worst scenarios.
- If the fluid keeps on oozing out, then one must consider a doctor in this situation. Doctors usually examine the area and most probably would clean the area. This is also a symptom that your body has started an allergic reaction against the piercing.
- Some dried-up layers keep forming initially after the piercings. Still, if this situation continues even after cleaning up, it is not safe to change the jewelry.
- If even after a long time, the nipple area is painful, in a way that it hurts even when you touch it. That is also not a good sign. It is advised to consult the doctor in this condition. Changing the jewelry still would be a bad idea. Some people don’t take the pain that seriously, and they still try to change the piercing. In that case, those people should expect that the changing of jewelry would be extremely painful, and they have no one to blame for it but themselves.
- We know that it’s fun to play with nipple piercing, but after one gets it done, he should take great care of it. He should not touch that area again and again. Some people are overprotective. Hey, try to clean it several times a day with alcohol swabs. That’s also not good because in this way that person is making it even more vulnerable to the attacks of bacterias and it would cause even more infection. Jewelry swapping will become a menace.
TIME DURATION REQUIRED
Nipples are very sensitive. The nipple piercing usually requires a time period of 6 months to 1 year in order to heal completely. In most cases, it heals in 9 months. There is a method by which you can confirm that either it has been healed or not by rotating or swapping the jewelry. If it happens with ease and no pain, it means that it has completely healed, and you can change your piercings as many times as you want.
The material with which the jewelry is made matters a lot. So here are a few tips select the safest jewelry for your nipple piercing.
- Don’t try to save money on this purchase. Going for a nipple piercing is not that common, and it takes a lot of time to heal. That’s why one should select the best jewelry for it.
- Whatever the jewelry is, it should not be plated artificially because that plating can wear off. It can result in allergic reactions as well. It is one of the biggest reasons behind nipple infection due to piercings.
- One of the best materials for this kind of piercing is titanium. The reason behind it is that it is an inert metal, and it does not initiate any allergic reactions. It is very smooth as well.
- Secondly, the following material which would be the safest for this kind of piercing would be stainless steel. Now it is readily available and affordable as well. Like titanium, this material is also inert and prevents any allergic reactions.
- Apart from stainless steel and titanium, if one needs to buy jewelry made up of some other material, he should keep in mind that no matter whatever material he selects, that should be free from nickel and lead. Nickel and lead particles are the ones that initiate the allergic reactions of the body towards piercing. They are usually found in a high amount in those pieces, which are way cheaper.
STEPS TO CHANGE PIERCING
Changing nipple piercings require more patience and care. It is because the nipple is recently healed. If one does not care of it correctly and tries t swap the jewelry without taking proper precautions, it would tear down the skin and the tissues around it, and a new saga of infections would start. One has to wait even longer after then. So here are some steps which one should keep in mind before and during changing the piercing.
- One should massage the nipples. This method would tend to expand the piercing so that when some other jewelry is inserted, it slides in without any difficulty or pain. This massaging should be done two to three weeks before the day you swap the jewelry.
- The jewelry should be lubricated with some moisturizing lubricant for easy swapping. A water-based lubricant is preferred because oil-based lubricant can close the pores around it and become the source of infection. It is better if the jewelry is soaked in that lubricant so that this process takes place without any pain.
- A taper should be used to stretch the piercing. A taper is a type of jewelry that is in the shape of a cone. Its pointy side can slide again and again through the piercing that opens the piercing for easier swapping.
- For people swapping jewelry for the first time, it’s recommended to use internally threaded jewelry as a safe option. Internally threaded jewelry s the pieces of jewelry designed so that their inner bar is very smooth and their outer ends have jewels attached. The smooth bar ensures a painless, easy sliding of jewelry through the piercing. This kind of piercing is relatively safe as well because it does not fall that easily. Usually, it does not damage the nipple. Still, if some heavy jewels are attached to its end, it may tear down the tissue around the nipples during insertion.
Many things come in the category of aftercare when the nipple piercing is changed.
- For faster healing, it is recommended that the nipple piercing should be soaked in saline water. Sainte water is the mixture of distilled water with non-iodized salt. This solution would work best if it is slightly warmed, a little higher than the average temperature. Then this solution should be taken in any cup-shaped pot or glass, and the nipple should be soaked into it. We can also use some cotton, soak it in the solution and apply it to the nipple.
- Our hands have millions of germs even when washed. The nipple should not be touched again and again, or many pathogens would infect it. One should sanitize his hands before touching them.
- It should be cleaned every day.
Sometimes it happens that when a person changes its nipple piercing, the body refuses to accept it. Many symptoms tell us that the body has rejected this piercing. It is not something new. It happens that the first piercing goes very well, and the second piercing gets rejected.
- When the piercing sets move from their place, it means that it has been rejected.
- If the piercing starts to expand for no reason, it means that it has been rejected.
- If the piercing becomes extremely painful, the body has rejected the piercing and caused an infection.